Birmingham Car Accident Attorneys
Automobile Accidents in Jefferson County
No one expects to be involved in a motor vehicle accident, but thousands of people are injured and hundreds more are killed in Alabama car accidents every year. Getting back on your feet after a serious crash can be difficult, especially when you are dealing with significant injuries, massive medical bills, and weeks, months, or even years of lost income.
At Morris Haynes Attorneys at Law, we understand the challenges you are up against, and we know how to help. For more than 30 years, our Birmingham car accident lawyers have been fighting for the rights of injured victims and the families of those wrongfully killed throughout the state. We have recovered more than $1 billion for our clients, including numerous million- and multimillion-dollar settlements and verdicts. Our team has what it takes to effectively advocate for you and the maximum recovery you are owed.
Injured in a car accident in or around Birmingham? Call Morris Haynes Attorneys at Law today at (205) 973-6915 for a free consultation with one of our experienced attorneys.
What to Do If You Are Involved in a Car Accident
If you are reading this, chances are you were recently involved in a car accident. If you have not yet seen a doctor or medical provider, do so right away. Even if you believe you were not seriously injured or that your injuries will heal on their own, you should always seek medical attention after a motor vehicle accident. Not only does this ensure your continued health and wellbeing, but it also establishes evidence of your injuries should you pursue a personal injury claim.
There are several other things you should do after a car accident to protect your right to seek fair compensation for your damages, including:
- Reporting the Accident: Alabama law requires you to report any accident that results in injury, death, or property damage in excess of $500 to the police. If the police came out to the scene of the accident, they will have filed this report on your behalf.
- Documenting Evidence: If possible, gather and preserve all available evidence from the crash, such as pictures of your vehicle, the crash scene, and your injuries. Other important evidence includes the other driver’s contact and insurance information and witness statements (if available).
- Notifying Your Insurance Company: You may be required to report the accident to your own insurance provider within a set timeframe. Be sure to review your auto insurance policy and follow any reporting requirements to avoid penalties.
- Avoiding Discussing the Accident with Others: You should avoid talking about the accident with anyone other than the police and your attorney. Do not post about it on social media and do not provide any statements to insurance adjusters or sign anything without talking to a lawyer first.
- Contacting an Attorney: One of the most important things you can do after a car accident is call an experienced auto accident attorney. A lawyer will be able to advise you on what to do next and can immediately begin protecting your rights.
Whether it’s been several hours, a couple of days, or more than a month since the accident, we encourage you to reach out to our team at Morris Haynes Attorneys at Law right away. The sooner you contact our attorneys, the sooner we can begin building your case and advocating for your recovery.
Proving Fault in Your Alabama Car Accident Case
Because Alabama follows a fault-based system, you will need to prove that another person or party was to blame for the accident. And, because the state follows a rule of contributory negligence when it comes to personal injury claims, you will need to prove that the defendant was entirely at fault for the crash. If you are found to have been even one percent negligent, you cannot file a claim or recover any compensation for your damages.
Proving fault often involves identifying the cause of the crash. Some of the most common causes of car accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Fatigued driving
- Traffic law violations
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Improper turns
- Illegal passing
- Failure to keep a lookout
- Unsafe merging
- Disobeying traffic control devices
- Reckless or aggressive driving
- Road rage
Our Birmingham car accident lawyers work with teams of experts, including accident reconstruction specialists, who help us determine how the collision occurred and who is to blame. We use this evidence to build persuasive cases on behalf of our clients and develop innovative legal strategies tailored to their unique needs, concerns, and goals.
Call Morris Haynes Attorneys at Law for a Free Consultation
If you or someone you love was involved in a serious car accident in the Birmingham area, do not hesitate to reach out to our firm today to learn how we can help you with your claim. Our attorneys have experience in all types of motor vehicle accident cases, including those involving passenger vehicles, motorcycles, large trucks, pedestrians, and bicyclists. We have successfully represented clients in cases arising from rear-end collisions, hit-and-runs, side-impact crashes, head-on collisions, vehicle rollovers, auto defects, and more. No matter how complex your case may be, we can help.
When you turn to Morris Haynes Attorneys at Law, you receive direct, personal attention from a partner attorney at our firm. Your case will never be passed off to an associate or paralegal. We provide all our car accident legal services on a contingency fee basis, meaning you do not owe any fees unless we win your case.